Ingesting Toxic Plants Part II
We recently had to take my pet to the emergency clinic because she ate one of my plants and became very ill. Maybe you could share some information with other pet owners about what plants are dangerous and what signs to look for if your pet has ingested something.
In the previous article, we covered some plants that could be potentially toxic to your pet. In this column, I will include more information about the signs to look for if your pet has ingested a plant from your house or yard. This will not be an all-inclusive list and therefore, this information is intended only as a guide. It should not be used as a replacement for direct contact with your veterinarian.
Gastrointestinal System - typical clinical signs: anorexia, lethargy, salivating, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and/or diarrhea.
- Rhododendron/Azalea (entire plant)
- Daffodil (entire plant, bulb)
- Iris (leaves, bulb)
- Tulips (leaves, bulb)
- English Ivy (leaves, berries, seeds) - they can cause death if large amount is ingested, primarily the fruit
- Mistletoe (entire plant) - eating the berries can be especially serious
- Nightshade (entire plant) -hemorrhagic diarrhea more likely than from other plants
- Poinsettia (leaves, stems)
- Castor Bean (whole plant, especially bean) - this is very toxic, even one bean can cause death
- Hydrangea (entire plant)
- Hyacinth (leaves, bulb)
Blood and Circulation - typical clinical signs: could include collapse, heart arrhythmias and death. Common plants: Oleander (entire plant) where you may also see gastrointestinal clinical signs, Foxglove (entire plant) and the Lily of the Valley (entire plant). The Foxglove and the Lily of the Valley plant exhibit similar signs, but are not as toxic. The Easter Lily (entire plant) may also demonstrate gastrointestinal clinical signs but can also cause renal failure in cats.