Dogs Eating Raisins and Grapes
I recently heard that I should not give my dog grapes or raisins, as this could be fatal. Is this true?
Yes, it is. According to the National Animal Poison Control Center, pets may be very sensitive to an unknown chemical in grapes, raisins, or juice/wine made from grapes. The toxic dose of grape products can be as low as 0.1 mg/kg (or 0.046mg/lb), which means less than one grape or raisin may be poisonous to a 10 pound dog. Older or sick animals are the most susceptible. Symptoms usually start with vomiting, diarrhea and/or depression. In the animal hospital, several blood tests values will be affected, especially kidney function tests. Without intensive supportive therapy, death from kidney failure usually occurs within one to four days. Another overlooked source of poisoning in pets, according to the NAPCC, is Macadamia nut toxicity. Macadamia nuts, popular in Hawaii, and in cookies, may cause depression, vomiting, ataxia (weakness), tremors (shakes), and hyperthermia (elevation in body temperature). Abdominal pain and stiffness are also common symptoms. With supportive treatment and removal of residue from the digestive system, most pets recover in a few days.