Exposure to Poisons
We try to keep your dog Poochie penned up in the yard where he has plenty of space to run. But every now and then, he gets out and usually gets into trouble. Yesterday, he got into our trash and “retrieved” an old bottle of insecticide. I rushed him to the veterinarian because I was sure he had poisoned himself. Fortunately he was alright. Did I overreact?
You did exactly the right thing. You should call your veterinarian if you have only a slight suspicion that your dog has gotten into something poisonous. When you call, be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What kind of poison did he eat?
- How much poison do you think he actually swallowed?
- How long ago did he eat it?
- What is he doing now?
If you get any of the poison on your hands while cleaning it up or getting it out of your pet’s mouth, wash them as soon as possible. Some poisons can be absorbed through the skin.
Of course, carefully follow your veterinarian’s instructions when treating your dog.
Every spring and summer we have a lot of questions about poisoning, though we see the most cases in the fall when animals get into rodent poisoning and antifreeze. We welcome the questions as a way to help prevent poisoning accidents in pets. The best way to prevent such accidents is to avoid using rodent or insect-killing products. Also, do not ever give your pet prescription or over-the-counter medicine intended for human use unless prescribed by your veterinarian.
We receive a number of questions about the sprays and powders used by lawn maintenance companies. The chemicals vary, so the best advice is to ask your company how long you should keep off the grass after treatment.