Pets Eating Turkey Bones
Last Thanksgiving we almost lost our wonderful Pepi dog. We were not paying attention when he got into the garbage can and ate some turkey bones. One became lodged in his intestine and caused a bowel obstruction that almost killed him. Please warn your readers to keep the turkey carcass away from their pets.
Turkey bones are just one of the holiday hazards for our pets. We get distracted with preparations and celebration for the holidays and may not be as watchful as we should. Or we make them sick by sharing too many holiday treats with them. Whatever the reason, veterinarians see too many pets during the holidays with diarrhea, poisoning and obstructed or perforated bowel problems like Pepi's. Turkey is one of the "dangers". Dogs and cats are not used to fatty or rich foods. Feeding them turkey skin, fat, dressing or gravy can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, and pancreas problems. Cookies and candies can produce the same symptoms. Chocolate, especially the type used in baking, can be very toxic. Liquor, beer and wine also are dangerous. As you wisely point out, turkey bones should be securely wrapped before putting them in the trash. These bones are lethal because they are small and shatter easily. They can cut or lodge in the digestive tract. Soon we will be decorating our homes for Christmas. Keep in mind that Christmas trees and pets can add up to mischief. Animals may be fascinated by the lights and bright ornaments and bat them off the tree. Broken pieces can cut paws and mouths and lead to serious trouble if swallowed. Curious and playful pets also can knock over a tree and cause a short circuit in the lights. So it is wise to turn off tree lights and keep animals at a safe distance when no one is around. Remember that mistletoe and poinsettias are poisonous and should be kept out of pets' reach. Finally, be aware that the hustle and bustle of holidays -- the parties, visitors, and coming and going -- can be stressful for pets. Some are sensitive to such disruptions and commotion and may benefit from being closed in a quiet corner of the house away from activity.