Dogs Eating Chocolate
Our dog, Brownie, just loves to eat sweet treats, such as cookies, candy, and cake. She will do all sorts of tricks for just a taste of a chocolate bar. Recently, however, we read that chocolate can be harmful to dogs. Could we be placing our Brownie at risk?
Just about everyone loves chocolate, including our canine friends. However, sharing the Oreos or chocolate bars with your dog would be a serious mistake. Chocolate contains high levels of theobromine as well as caffeine. These substances can also be found in cola, tea, and coffee. Dark, or bitter (cooking), chocolate has higher levels than does milk chocolate. In high levels, these substances can be quite toxic to dogs. Little dogs will become ill on a smaller amount ingested, whereas larger dogs can tolerate a larger accidental treat. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea along with rapid pulse and panting. Staggering, tremors, and seizures may occur in severe cases followed by coma, and potentially, death. If your dog has stolen some chocolate, induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide by mouth and call your veterinarian. Additional therapy may be needed and if started early, is usually successful.