Jasmine or Jaz is a Tibetan terrier owned by Jim Davison of Websterville, VT and is our next inductee into the Vermont Animal Hall of Fame. Jaz was nominated by VVMA member veterinarian Dr. Thomas Cihocki.
It all began on Dec 27, 2001 at about 12:30 AM…
Jim's wife was at work and Jim was asleep in bed with Jaz by his side. The door was shut to keep Jaz from going downstairs during the night. In the wee hours of the morning, Jaz started biting at Jim and pawing frantically at his chest. Due to carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation, Jim was very slow to respond. Very disorientated and confused, he finally realized the bedroom was full of smoke! Jim tried to escape by the door, but as he tried to open it, it exploded throwing Jim and Jaz across the room. Jaz stayed close to Jim as the window was finally located. The smoke was so thick by this time, seeing was impossible and breathing was nearly so. Jim pushed himself through the screen of the window and collapsed on the snow covered roof. Jaz, not giving up, pull Jim by his underwear trying to get him away from the billowing smoke coming from the window. (Now remember, Jaz is a very small dog weighing just 12 pounds!) Jim finally started to yell and Jaz joined in barking as loudly as he could thereby alerting Jim's brother and other neighbors who eventually helped them escape from the roof. Both Jim and Jaz recovered fully from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning and soon family and hero Jaz, known to Jim as his "angel from God" will move into a new home on the property.
The VVMA is proud to induct Jasmine into the Vermont Animal Hall of Fame in the Hero Animal Category.